As is my wont, I adapted the recipe quite considerably. First off, I had bought a bar of Divine's fairtrade 85% dark chocolate specifically for the purpose of this challenge. When I read the recipe however, it was cocoa that was used. Well blow that, mine was going to contain a bar of real live chocolate. As this was for breakfast I wanted something healthy - to me healthy means NO SUGAR. So instead of using sugar, I used a mixture of date syrup, agave syrup and honey. OK I know chocolate has sugar in, but there is very little in an 85% bar, so I let that one go.
Anyway, this is how I did it:
- Put 250g of rolled oats into a bowl.
- Added 30g sesame seeds, 20g sunflower seeds, 60g apricot kernels, 30g goji berries, 50g coconut chips, 1 tsp ground cinnamon and 1/4 tsp fleur de sel (sea salt).
- In a pan warmed 40ml date syrup, 40ml agave syrup, 1 flat tbsp honey and 50ml walnut infused rapeseed oil.
- Added 50g of 85% dark chocolate (Divine) and stirred until melted.
- Poured this into the bowl of dry ingredients and mixed until everything was evenly coated.
- Spread this onto a large baking tray and baked for 50 mins at 125C, turning the mixture a couple of times during the process.
- Left to cool
- Stirred in 50g of chopped 85% dark chocolate (Divine). What I wanted to achieve here was to add the chocolate at a point where it would melt a little and clump with the granola mixture, but not so much that it melted completely. I didn't manage it, so the chocolate remained unmelded.