This is what I did:
- Placed 300g of mixed fruit into a bowl - mostly vine, but a few chopped dates, pineapple, papaya and cranberries.
- Added grated zest and juice of 1 very juicy orange.
- Stirred in 50ml of Scotch Whisky and two tsp of orange syrup (left over from making candied peel).
- Covered and placed on top of our storage heater for a couple of hours (a low oven would be fine or could just be left somewhere overnight).
- Creamed 100g unsalted butter with 100g light brown raw cane sugar.
- Beat in 2 small eggs.
- Sieved in 150g self-raising flour, 50g wholemeal spelt, 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda.
- Stirred in 25g ground almonds.
- Added 50g chopped 70% G&B dark chocolate and the fruit mixture.
- Mixed well and spooned into two 6 hole muffin moulds.
- Pressed 6 whole blanched almonds onto each one.
- Baked for 35 minutes at 150C.
- Left to cool for half an hour then turned out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Wrapped them in greaseproof paper and packed them away in a tin.
I am submitting these to English Mum's Big Christmas Bakeoff.
Lets Make Christmas.