This is how I did it:
- Melted 125g unsalted butter in a large pan together with 125g molasses sugar and 1 tbsp treacle.
- Allowed to cool a little whilst I got on with weighing the flour and chopping the chocolate.
- Mixed in 75ml sour milk and stirred until smooth.
- Beat in 1 large egg.
- Stirred in 2 tablespoon of marrow and ginger jam.
- Sifted in 180g flour (half wholemeal, half white), 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp bicarb of soda, 1 tsp ground ginger and a pinch of salt and stirred to combine.
- Stirred in 50g chopped dark spiced orange chocolate (51%), reserving 24 pieces to place on top.
- Spooned mixture into 12 cupcake cases, dropped in 2 pieces of chocolate and baked at 180C for 20 minutes.
- Turned out onto a rack and left to cool.
- Creamed 125g unsalted butter with 250g sieved icing sugar until almost white.
- Beat in 2 tsp lemon juice and 3 tbsp of the syrup from the marrow and ginger jam.
- Spooned into a piping bag and using a star nozzle succeeded in getting the buttercream onto the cupcakes - hoorah!
They had a delicious gingerbread taste, but had a lighter texture and the ginger was not as strong. Combined with the lemony tang from the ginger and marrow jam, the fragrant aroma and chocolate nuggets, these were real winners; I shall be making them again for sure. Just as well I was giving these away or I might have polished off quite a few of them. That was my friend's avowed intention anyway.