Willie's Chocolate Factory Cookbook was thus unearthed and I proceeded to melt his Venezuelan Black 100% cocoa. As the egg, although large wasn't quite worth 6 chicken eggs and as I only had 160g of the cocoa, I made a smaller cake than the stated one and had to estimate the quantities. This is what I did:
- Grated 10g off the block of 100% cocoa.
- Melted the remaining 150g over a pan of hot water with 210g unsalted butter and left to cool a little.
- Whisked 1 goose egg (about 4 duck eggs or 5 hens eggs) with 40g light muscovado and 120g vanilla sugar (granulated) until thick and doubled in volume.
- Poured the chocolate down the side of the bowl so as not to knock the air out of the egg mixture then proceeded to fold in as gently as I could.
- Folded in 80g ground almonds.
- Poured into a 22cm cake mould and baked at 170C for 30 mins.
- Left to cool, then turned out onto a wire rack to cool further.
- Placed onto a cake stand and scattered over the grated cocoa (which then proceeded to melt as I hadn't left the cake quite long enough to cool).