This is what I did:
- Cut three large slices of the date and walnut cake and cut them into roughly 1 inch cubes.
- Placed these into a glass bowl.
- Spooned over 6 tbsp of damson liqueur and a couple tbsp of orange syrup (leftover from the candied orange peel).
- Made 1 pint of custard, left to cool then poured over the cake pieces.
- Whipped 250ml double cream until it just held it's shape then spooned this over the custard.
- Toasted a handful of slivered almonds.
- Grated 20g of Maya Gold then scattered over the cream.
- Finally scattered the almonds over the chocolate.
This was very different from a normal fruity trifle; different yes, but delicious just the same. It had an aromatic spicy taste from the Maya Gold and wasn't too sweet. The light creamy top combined with the grounding damson soaked date cake and crunchy nuts gave a complementary mouth feel and taste. This was an excellent way to use up a cake that wasn't loved as much as it should have been. Two bowls at one sitting is, perhaps, sufficient.