- Beat 3 eggs (2 duck and 1 hen) with 120g vanilla sugar until thick, pale and creamy.
- Beat in 250g squash (grated)
- Sieved and then folded in 50g buckwheat flour, 2 tsp baking powder (gluten free), 1 tsp ground cinnamon and 1/4 tsp Himalayan pink salt.
- Folded in 100g ground almonds.
- Poured half the mixture into a 9" sq cake thingie, scattered over 100g chopped white chocolate then spooned on the remaining mixture.
- Scattered 30g almond flakes over the top.
- Baked at 180C for 25 minutes.
- Left to cool then cut into 16 squares.
Monday, 24 January 2011
Almond and Squash Cake - We Should Cocoa 5
We Should Cocoa challenge; as a post Christmas special, Chele has chosen leftovers, something we probably all have after the seasonal splurge. I then had to find a recipe. BrownievilleGirl came to my rescue and suggested I make these blondies, the original recipe for which came from Harry Eastwood's Red Velvet Chocolate Heartache. I have been wanting to try one of her cake recipes for a long time. They are a bit different, substituting vegetables for butter, being gluten free and using less sugar than one would normally expect. I'm not convinced by the idea that butter is bad for you, but I'm willing to try butterless baking occasionally and it's always good to expand one's repertoire.