This is what I did:
- Sifted 150g flour (white & wholemeal), 50g ground almonds, 20g cocoa (should have been 40g but annoyingly that's all I had in the house), 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt into a bowl.
- Made a well in the centre and mixed in 40 ml sunflower oil, 1.5 tsp cider vinegar and 180g water.
- Added 180g grated courgette and mixed well.
- Spooned mixture into 12 cupcake cases (I wasn't sure how well these would rise, but 10 cases would probably have been better.
- Baked at 180C for 20 minutes then turned on to a rack to cool.
- Melted 100g 70% chocolate (I used Divine given the unsurety of G&B's possible dairy content in their dark chocolate) with 2 tbsp date syrup and 2 tbsp water.
- Stirred well and spread this on top of the cupcakes.
These turned out slightly more puddingy than cakey, but were nonetheless very good. They were certainly appreciated by more than just my vegan colleague at work. No-one guessed that there were courgettes in the cake, though I suspect that they had a hand in giving the cake its moist (or was that stodgy?) quality. I've made a chocolate and date syrup topping before to good effect. Despite replacing the butter with water this time around, I was pleased with how well it worked and will be using this again..