Here is the first of the promised cupcake recipes. I'd recently indulged in some cardamom chocolate and it was so delicious and worked so well, I was keen to try it out in cake format. I took Nigella's Cappuccino Cupcakes recipe as a starting point and adapted it somewhat. This is how I did it:
- Creamed 125g unsalted butter with 125g soft brown sugar
- Ground seeds from 8 cardamom pods in a pestle & mortar then beat into butter mixture with grated zest of 1 orange.
- Beat in 2 large eggs (had run out of duck eggs) one after the other.
- Sieved in 125g flour (1/2 wholemeal, 1/2 gluten free) with 2 tsp baking powder and 1 tbsp cocoa powder.
- Mixed in 3 tbsp milk.
- Divided this between 12 cupcake cases and baked at 180C in a preheated oven for 18 mins.
- Melted 100g milk chocolate (35%) and allowed to cool slightly.
- Creamed 75g butter with 75g icing sugar.
- Mixed in chocolate and 1 tbsp orange liqueur.
- Iced the cooled cupcakes and decorated with a Minstrel.
As I'd hoped the flavours here worked really well together. The texture was good although not quite as light as the chilli cupcakes. The icing was so good I could have eaten the whole bowl. Luckily for those concerned, I managed to restrain myself.