I'm still harvesting plenty of beetroot so wanted to try another cake recipe using beetroot - something suitable for a picnic! This is what I came up with:
- Melted 100g unsalted butter with 100g 85% dark chocolate and 100g muscovado sugar in a small pan.
- Mashed 200g cooked beetroot.
- Sifted 100g plain flour (wholemeal spelt) into a mixing bowl with a pinch of salt.
- Mixed in 100g ground almonds.
- Made a well in the centre and poured in chocolate mixture.
- Mixed this together with 4 duck eggs and beetroot.
- Spooned this into 9" square cake thingie and baked for 20 mins at 180°C (gas 4).
- When cool cut into 16 squares.
Writing this now I rather wished I'd added some grated orange rind - not because they weren't pretty damn good anyway, but I think this would have enhanced the flavour even further - beetroot and orange are good complementary flavours. Luckily, the cakes got a general thumbs up being moist, dense, flavoursome and not too sweet.