With not a lot of time to think about it, I suddenly realised that I hadn't yet decided what I was going to make for this month's chilli themed We Should Cocoa. I had some Steenbergs chilli drinking chocolate in stock and thought this would give a mild but obvious chilli and chocolate hit to the madeleines. A little honey to add flavour and texture and I was off.
Naughtily, I served some of them with a mixture of Cornish clotted cream and the last bit of salted caramel that was taking up space in the fridge. This sauce was sublime and I'm now keen to make another batch of salted caramel, just so I can make some more.
Allotment 2 Kitchen. She has chosen chilli as this month's theme. And for those of you who may remember, yes, we have had chilli before, but it was quite some time ago and there's plenty of room for further exploration.
I'd Much Rather Bake Than ...
My Little Italian Kitchen. These cakes are very economical to make as the ingredients aren't particularly expensive and the time needed in the oven is minimal. I also used up the last of the chilli drinking chocolate as well as the salted caramel. This challenge belongs to Camilla at Fab Food 4 All and Helen over at Fuss Free Flavours.
Lavender and Lovage.
Chilli Chocolate Madeleines
Soft spongy moreish madeleines flavoured with mild chilli chocolate - best eaten on the day they are made.
- 75g unsalted butter
- 2 duck eggs or large hens eggs
- 50g cardamom sugar (golden caster)
- 75g flour (half wholemeal, half white)
- 20g chilli drinking chocolate powder
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp baking powder
1. Melt butter in a pan over gentle heat, then allow to cool a little.2. Place sugar, honey and eggs into a mixing bowl then whisk until pale and thick.3. Pour the butter down the side of the bowl and fold in gently.4. Sift in the flour, baking powder and drinking chocolate and fold in lightly, but thoroughly.5. Spoon the mixture into a 12 hole silicon madeleine mould (or muffin cases).6. Bake at 180℃ for 10 minutes or until the cakes are well risen and firm to the touch.7. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
DetailsPrep time: 20Cook time: Total time: Yield: 12